Christmas meme from sarahtar
Posted by Talula on December 28, 2007
Originally swiped from mamaP
1. Christmas is ___ (Fill in the blank with ONE WORD) I dont have one answer because the day has changed for me. Past=loving, Present=exhausting/or draining.
2. In Memories, what was the best part of your Christmas past? As a child; the anticipation and the little family secrets about gifts for each other. As far back as I can remember; I was chosen to go with my Grandfather on Christmas Eve to go out with him to buy my Grandmother’s gift(made harder by the fact that he always waited till 3pm on Christmas Eve to go). However we always seemed to find her something beautiful that made her cry! I wonder if it was simply the fact that he always manged to accomplish something secret, her favorite perfume/lingerie/fancy & expensive chocolates; and even sometimes diamonds (if it had been a very good year for his business).
3. Was Santa ever good to you? (Describe how & what). It’s really odd; but I cant’ remember a single specific gift from Santa as a little child, am hazy on when I received it but there was a Madame Alexander doll with her own travel trunk and clothes that I played with for many years. I still have it. I think I will ask my mother about it later. I had a small collection of dolls that I saved to give to my girls; but they did not play with many, so I saved them for my granddaughters; and now they are also sports oriented and not so much into dolls. Wonder if my great-granddaughters will be interested?
4. Do you open gifts on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, or both? As a child we were allowed to open one gift on Christmas Eve-but it was chosen by the grown-ups (to wear to our family party that night). As an adult mom, I allowed the kids to open one of their choice on C. Eve; to help curb the excitement enough to get some sleep before Santa came! I needed the time to assemble or place everything under the tree!
5. Is there something you make each and every year? (craft or recipe) My grandmother’s recipe for Minemeat cake! I have even made it to sell to friends and colleagues for Christmas money about 15 years ago when I didn’t have much cash, and cleared $500.00 for my kids Santa stash.
6. What are your favorite five (5) Christmas songs/hymns? I am terrible at remembering anything by titles; but anything Christmas by Johnny Mathis, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, George Strait, or Alan Jackson. At least I can name 5 artists, but I’m not a hymn kind of person.
7. Is there a new traditon for Christmas since your childhood days? Like sarahtar; stay home! I have always thought it has become insane with small children being dragged away from their goodies on Christmas morning to go visit for brunch/lunch/dinner to all the inlaws/ cousins/ friends etc. throughout the day, then get home too late to actually play with their gifts. I find that the older I get the less I want to move around that day. However, my family considers me insane for that.
8. Describe one of your Christmas trips. (whether its across town or across country) In childhood; my grandmother and her two sisters were sent to an orphanage after their mother died-so as adults they spent EVERY Christmas Eve together, no matter what else was going on in their life-eventually it became a huge family gathering, with everyone related to them or even dating one of their children or grandchildren, plus a few close friends (of anyone!) This is the first year we did not have it, only one sister is still alive, and she is frail. So the eldest children decided to have a small dinner party with only the original aunt and 3 of the original sisters’ children, plus spouses. and it felt so freeing to not have to buy special clothes/re-arrange the schedule/choose a house big enough to hold everyone/drag the kids out/etc.
9. Do you have a special Christmas outfit to wear for the day? Not anymore–just something red or green involved. It was hot here in Texas, so I wore denim with a red shirt and sandals with bright green socks!
10. Have YOU or any member of your family members sat on Santa’s lap? Yes; I have photos of all my children at ages below 5 sitting on Santa’s lap (crying, of course!).
11. What is/or will be on your Christmas tree this year? My mother is the Christmas freak in our family – since her birthday is Dec 30th. I have lived with her or she has lived with me most of my life — so SHE controls the tree. This year it had no old ornaments from all those years past- it was a completely new artificial tree with all new ornaments and garland and even a new Angel to top it off, since the old one didn’t match her new color scheme. I have to say it actually looked beautiful, soft greens and white, with birds and dragonflies and even long feathers of birds laying in the branches scattered around as if birds had nested in the tree. Sadly though, it had no “family connections”; which is always the kind of ragtag tree I like to put up.
12. Do you/or have you decorated your yard for Christmas? Oh, yes — this house and yard is always decorated to the hilt outside, often more than the inside of the house. This year our house won the neighborhood decorating contest (I think for sheer quantity of lights) even thought my mom’s husband was simply trying to create a winter wonderland for all their combined grandchildren. It worked! One granddaughter (age seven) came in the door and asked if we were rich – because our house had more lights than the rich people’s neigborhood houses. We all got a good laugh out of that- we told her no- we just had over 40 years worth of after-Christmas clearance sale lights on the house and yard.